A residence fit for any Liveryman

For most of the 20th century the City offered little in the way of accommodation to the business traveller, liveryman or tourist. While overnight lodgings were provided for the troops of the Bank Picquet, and some of the Livery Halls were furnished with apartments for the Master, Clerk and perhaps the Beadle, most had to travel beyond the Square Mile for a good night’s rest.

Demand for hotel rooms in the City has led to the opening of upmarket establishments such as the Ned Hotel on Poultry in the premises of the former Midland Bank's City HQ*, and more recently the Vintry & Mercer on Garlick Hill which describes itself as ‘set in London’s Vintry Ward, among the livery halls, guilds and narrow streets that line the banks of the Thames’. 

NB. While I am certain that Vintry & Mercer is a fine establishment, it is not affiliated with either the Vinters’ or the Mercers’ companies.

* Did you know, UK clearing banks were required to have offices within easy walking distance of the Bank of England prior to the advent of the telephone?

Joining these upmarket hotels are a range of mid-market lodgings including the teasingly named Club Quarters (not a private Club), on Gracechurch Street. At the modest end of the spectrum there are several Premier Inns within the City, and even a Youth Hostel near St Paul’s Cathedral (sadly the YHA has decided to sell the hostel). 

This growth in hotel accommodation is a 21st century phenomenon as the Square Mile’s tourism, culture and nightlife offer has developed. When my Grandparents lived in the City in the 1960 and 70s it had next to no nightlife and was a ghost town at weekends, but that has changed for the better in recent decades.

Alongside the commercial hotels, the City of London provides the Freeman or Liveryman with a selection of characterful places to stay that are not available to the general public. These include the cabins in the Little Ship Club (shared with the City Livery Club) and the rather grander private suites and bedrooms in the City of London Club on Old Broad Street. Something of the history of that club and its early role in providing accommodation for members can be found in this article from Country Life. The Saddlers’ Hall has undergone significant refurbishment which included the provision of bedrooms for the Company’s staff, members and guests, but these are not generally available to members of other Livery Companies.

Members of the Court of Common Council and Masters of Livery Companies may also stay in the bedrooms provided in Guildhall, although access to them is limited. By contrast many Freemen and Liverymen will have enjoyed staying in the attractively priced Vintners’ Company’s cosy bedrooms atop Five Kings House, where the jovial concierge and security guard has become something of a living legend to all who have visited.

Until 2022 these were the only options for Liverymen staying in the City, until the Mercers’ Company opened the refurbished premises of 6 Frederick’s Place boasting 9 bedrooms which are now available for booking by members of the all livery companies. This article is based on the author’s experience of staying there during January 2024.

Tucked away in a quiet cul-de-sac off of Old Jewry, 6 Frederick’s Place was once the office of Benjamin Disraeli, Prime Minister and later the 1st Earl of Beaconsfield. Built in the late 18th century by James Adam as a speculative property investment, and since 1950 a Grade II listed property. The premises presents something of a familiar Downing Street frontage that would enhance any street in the City. 

Window boxes adorn every sill (note to the Gardeners' Company's Flowers in the City campaign) and a warm red front door presents a reassuring welcome over which flies a flag of the arms of the Mercers’ Company. As seems to be the case with many of the Mercers’ Company’s properties elsewhere in London a door brass of the Mercers’ Maiden (the heraldic charge of the Mercers’ Company's coat of arms) completes the picture. 

6 Frederick's place is also the office address of the Mercers' Company and serves as the London residence of the Clerk. It is joined to Mercers' Hall, although because Frederick's place is a cul-de-sac the main entrance to the hall proper is on Ironmonger Lane. While I arrived on foot, and Frederick's Place is pedestrianised, it may be possible for a Hackney Carriage to pull up outside.


The frontage of 6 Frederick's place has a cosy and welcoming feel. Photography © Paul D Jagger.


The familiar Mercers' Maiden, seen on many a door front in Covent Garden. Photography © Paul D Jagger.

Opposite 6 Frederick’s Place one may see a blue plaque on the former office of Edward Waterhouse, an ‘eminent accountant’ whose name lives on in the accounting and consulting firm PWC. I have previously said that there are no monuments to famous accountants other than inside Chartered Accountants’ Hall, but as befits the City, there are always exceptions to the rule!

Booking a room with the Mercers’ Company begins with an enquiry as to availability. Frederick’s Place has 8 bedrooms and they do tend to get reserved in the Livery season, so my advice is book early.
Before your reservation is confirmed, the Mercers’ Company will require confirmation of your membership from the Clerk or Beadle of your (mother) Livery Company. This can best be facilitated by a brief email and it is as well to notify your Clerk in advance. Unless you become a regular and a known guest of the Mercers’ Company (or you are a member of that company) then it is likely this prerequisite will be required for subsequent bookings, in which case you may wish to secure a letter from the Clerk for reuse at a later date.

Once your bona fides as a member of a Livery Company have been established your reservation will be confirmed, along with check in and check out times. When I booked no mention was made of the room rate, and it wasn’t until nearer the time that I realised this. An email enquiry to the Mercers’ Company confirmed the rate. It was an oversight on my part not to enquire earlier but I think it would be helpful for the Mercers’ Company to provide details of the room rates, capacities and the booking process on the Company’s website, although the Livery Committee has kindly hosted this brochure including booking details and prices on its website. 

NB. I believe room rates are lower for member of the Mercers’ Company.

The experience of checking in at 6 Frederick’s Place was the fastest and smoothest I have ever enjoyed. The gentleman at the reception desk was expecting me, greeted me by name and had my room key in hand as I entered the building, there was no paperwork to complete and I was not asked to present a credit card. A short trip up a couple of floors in the lift and I was in my room for the night. If only all establishments were this customer centric and efficient, even the Victory Services Club requires me to show ID when I stay there and I am a life member!

NB. The building is fully accessible once inside and has three bedrooms which are wheel-chair accessible, but there is a small step up at the street entrance. 

My positive first impression continued when I entered the bedroom. Since it was only me staying over in the City that night I didn’t need a spacious room but I was none the less pleased to find not only a good sized room but some added extras that caught my eye. The first of which was a print of the frontage of the old Mercers' Hall, a facade I have seen before as it is now relocated to the Town Hall in Swanage, Dorset - admittedly this is the sort of detail my eye is drawn to.


My room for the night, black velvet smoking jacket not included! Photography © Paul D Jagger.

Mrs Jagger believes I have something of an addiction to Roberts radios; it is fair to say we have more than sufficient of them around our home, so I was pleased to find a Roberts radio in my bedroom and not just the typical bedside clock variety but a full size tabletop appliance. 

* Did you know Roberts was a somewhat obscure radio manufacturer that was struggling until one of its radios featured in the TV series ‘To the Manor Born’? That was one of the UK’s most successful situation comedies and led to Roberts becoming a household name - well, among a certain milieu, which is perhaps why Roberts has two Royal Warrants. 

Another touch that I appreciated was the presence of a trouser press, something I have not seen in a hotel room for decades. Rather more surprising was the decanter of whisky along with the usual tea and coffee making facilities. I thought a decanter to be a very generous gift, it would have been ungrateful not receive it in the ‘spirit’ in which it was given.


Surely every guest bedroom should provide a Roberts radio and a decanter of whisky?. Photography © Paul D Jagger.


Corby Trouser presses were once ubiquitous in good hotels and I appreciated having one in my room. Photograph © Paul D Jagger.

In all other respects the room was comfortably furnished and decorated, the bathroom was provided with towels from John Lewis and toiletries by Molton Brown - in keeping with the upmarket experience. A handy phone charger was to be found in the bedside table, but I noted that unlike Vintners’ Hall, no copy of The City of London Freeman’s Guide was on hand (essential bedtime reading). That’s an omission which is easily fixed ;-)

After a freshen up and change for dinner I departed for a Livery Company event elsewhere in the City, and returned close to midnight. The Mercers’ Company provides round the clock security and I was greeted on my return before heading up to my room for the night. Despite being in the heart of the City my stay at 6 Frederick’s Place was very quiet; I don’t know how many others guests were staying but I did not experience any noise during my stay, either within the premises or from outside. A good night’s sleep followed.

Breakfast was served in a rather magnificent dining room on the 1st floor. A single table was set for all the guests staying overnight and I appeared to be the first to arrive. The staff were exceptionally welcoming, attentive and helpful; newspapers were available to be read there or be taken away. 

NB. Breakfast is continental style at weekends.


Breakfast was a sumptuous affair in palatial surroundings. Photograph © Paul D Jagger.

I was soon joined by a member of the Court of the Mercers’ Company, a lady who had travelled in from Wiltshire and was staying over prior to a Court meeting. Our conversation over breakfast was the highlight of my stay as we discovered various connections within and without the City, with the IT industry, with my home town, and with a school in Wiltshire where I delivered a talk on the Livery Companies prior to the pandemic. It is always a pleasure to meet such fascinating people as comprise the Livery. The sense of shared values, heritage and fellowship is the golden thread that weaves its way through and among all the companies.

The time came for me to check out, and I dropped my key off at reception before taking a few photos of the lounge. Overall I was very impressed by first stay at 6 Frederick’s Place, and I would encourage every member of the Livery to consider staying there as one of those unique and special City experiences that enrich the life of every Liveryman.


The lounge at 6 Frederick's Place also provides access to office facilities. Photography © Paul D Jagger.

PS. It was not until I got home that I realised nobody had asked me to settle up a bill, and it followed in the post the very next day; I was impressed to see that I could pay by direct bank transfer or cheque - the latter of which I am doing my little bit to keep alive.


Want to learn more about the Livery Companies and the City of London?

The City of London Freeman's Guide is the definitive concise guide to the City of London and its ancient and modern Livery Companies, their customs, traditions, officers, events and landmarks. Available in full colour hardback and eBook formats and now in its fifth or Platinum Jubilee edition. The guide is available online from Apple (as an eBook), Amazon (in hardback or eBook) Payhip (in ePub format) or Etsy (in hardback or hardback with the author's seal attached). Also available from all major City of London tourist outlets and bookstores. Bulk purchase enquiries are welcome from Livery Companies, Guilds, Ward Clubs and other City institutions and businesses.

Photo of the cover image of The City of London Freeman's Guide Platinum Jubilee edition featuring iconic images from the City of London and Her Majesty the Queen entering Drapers' Hall with the Master and Beadle
The City of London Freeman's Guide - Platinum Jubilee edition

I welcome polite feedback and constructive comment on all my blog articles. If you spot and error or omission, please do let me know (please illustrate with verifiable facts linked to an authoritative source where appropriate).

I ask that all persons who wish to comment take the time to register as I receive copious spam and postings from crackpot conspiracy nuts which would otherwise overwhelm my blog with rubbish and nonsense.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The City's relationship with the Monarch and the Royal Family

The Livery Companies and Freemasonry

The role of the Beadle